We will be bringing this seminar to you later in 2019, if you are interested in attending our next Materials Science Seminar, please register your interest below.
Led by industry expert Dr. Robert Bianco our latest seminar provides attendees with the basic knowledge of the principles of material science, information on corrosion and other factors affecting material properties.
- Critical concepts surrounding the basic nature and behavior of
materials, such as: a simple atom-level view of metals, microstructural characteristics of materials, ferritic, austenitic, and duplex alloys, mechanical properties of materials.
- Different types of corrosion and how specific alloys resist corrosion.
- NACE standards, and component selection for compliance with NACE standards.
- Selecting appropriate materials of construction for various applications, considering factors such as pressure ratings, temperature ratings, corrosive threats, and compliance with standards and specifications.
- Various alloy options, along with their advantages and disadvantages.
How NORSOK and ISO standards relate to material selection and corrosion.
Bob is a materials expert and technical lead for Swagelok’s Additive Manufacturing Program. Prior to joining Swagelok, Bob worked at Goodrich’s (now United Technologies Aerospace Systems) Materials and Simulation Technical Centre, where he held positions of increasing responsibility culminating as the Manager of Materials and Process R&D before his departure. He led a group of scientists and engineers to advance the state-of-the-art materials and their processes for the aerospace industry. Before working at Goodrich, he was a Senior Engineer at Westinghouse’s Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory responsible for the development of material systems for advanced energy conversion applications. Bob earned a B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering from The Ohio State University and an Engineering and Technology Management Certificate from Caltech’s Industrial Relations
Centre. Dr. Bianco’s technical background and expertise includes additive manufacturing, process metallurgy, high-temperature structural materials, materials characterisation, failure analyses/investigations, and surface modifications. Bob has authored or co-authored 12 US/world-wide patents and over 20 technical articles.